Date: January 15, 2018
Job Title: HypOxygen Product Manager
Reports To: National Sales Manager
Position is: Salary Plus Commission
Base salary plus commission tied to growth and profitability of HypOxygen product portfolio. Six figure total compensation package, base salary commensurate with experience. Company offers comprehensive benefits package including 401k and health care plans.
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the National Sales Manager; the HypOxygen Product Manager will guide the sales team that is charged with selling our range of HypOxygen products. This extends from increasing profitability of the existing portfolio to realizing new applications and markets for the company to spur top line growth. You will help develop new ideas based on your industry experience and your contact with customers and prospects to open new markets and extend our reach within our current market space. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the market to understand their applications, and offer solutions with our unique range of hypoxia workstations and related products. You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with our marketing team to define successful market penetration strategies, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customers. You will also serve as the internal and external champion for our product range, working directly with sales representatives and key customers. You will liaise with our key suppliers overseas in order to support sales representatives’ application based queries and provide feedback for new product / application ideas.
Position will be office based with travel required to assist sales representatives or attend conferences.
Extensive sales and equipment training will occur at our home office in Frederick, MD as well as visits to our partners overseas. Training period will be approximately 1 month.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with sales management to conceive the big picture vision for all the HypOxygen product lines: Develop sales and marketing strategies that are firmly rooted in the science of the instrumentation and the research our users are performing.
- Interface with sales staff in understanding user issues and customer questions; serve as a competent and reliable resource for sales calls with prospects; troubleshoot in case of issues, working with service engineers, IT, sales staff and customers.
- Coordinate with customers and schedule your own travel after being assigned a case
- Train new sales staff on the scientific background of our products and user research through presentations and one-on-one training sessions.
- Liaise with manufacturers to convey user requirements and issues, helping to progress instrumentation development; support the design of suitable beta testing; work with manufacturers to create scientific marketing and sales literature; participate in product meetings as a representative of HypOxygen to ensure the needs of our North American market and our users are met.
- Work with the marketing department to design fact- and data-driven marketing campaigns to drive sales based on science. Create out-bound and in-bound marketing content in digital and print formats
- Plan conference attendances including pre-and post-show marketing, and attend 6-8 conferences annually in the US. Present our products in seminars and exhibits to the biomed community
- Review the current literature on a regular basis to find relevant content for marketing. Be able to understand and summarize original publications. This is a large part of the PM role and requires discipline and perseverance to stay up-to-date, and to reliably create factually accurate summaries. Search for new target markets/applications
- Interview customers for the purpose of writing marketing pieces. A friendly and competent manner are essential for this task
- Source new products and/or manufacturing partners to expand the HypOxygen product portfolio
- Occasional support for Service at customer sites with simple repairs or calibrations
Required Education, Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- MS or PhD in life sciences with a particular focus on cell culture applications
- 5 years previous sales or product manager experience in life science industry
- Strong interpersonal and phone skills
- Be organized with strong verbal & written communication and analytical skills
- Must be self-motivated with a positive and professional attitude
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications
- Quick learner, hard worker and the ability to work independently
- Goal oriented with excellent multi-tasking skills and the ability to prioritize responsibilities
- Ability to travel when necessary
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record is required throughout your employment
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
Work within a typical professional office environment or out of home office. Position requires the ability to use office equipment and computers. Requires the ability to stand, walk and sit for 8 hours a day. Must have the ability to use hands to manipulate, handle, feel and control items, equipment and computers. Ability to walk, bend, kneel and reach with possible lifting requirements of up to 50 lbs. Ability to talk, hear and communicate with staff and customers over the telephone. Ability to see and be able to read, write and interpret written documents.